PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sedate

I talked with Laura's daughter today. I was hoping I might find Laura awake, because there was something I thought I could tell her to give her a little peace, in case she was still troubled. But I was told that Laura is being sedated now, so that she will sleep most of the time. When she is awake, she is still in pain, even with the heavy dose of morphine she's been taking. The morphine plus the sleeping medication seem to keep her relatively comfortable. The combination of the morphine and her lack of nourishment and the pain tended to make her rather agitated, and her mental capabilities have been getting kind of inconsistent. Her children knew it wasn't really their mother talking if she would get upset or confused, but rather the drugs and the illness.

So they asked Laura first if she would mind if they gave her something that would make her sleep most of the time. Being so worn out with suffering and distress, she said that it was OK, that she was ready to "sleep and go." Perhaps the worst of her sufferings are finished now--let us pray--and hopefully she will be able to sleep until the Lord comes for her. I don't suppose it will be long now, but this whole journey has been much longer than expected. They told me that if she did have a lucid and alert moment, they would call so I could talk to her, but probably I've said my last words to her already.

To paraphrase the Gospel, I think the Lord is saying: "Our friend Laura has fallen asleep, but I go to wake her." Not like he woke Lazarus, who still had to die again, but an awakening unto everlasting life and happiness. "As for me, when I awake, I shall see the sight of Your glory" (Ps 17).

Thank you for your continued prayers.

Abbot Joseph

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P E A C E to Laura,

Peace to you Abba Joseph.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen
and
Amen

c

10:11 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Indeed, peace be with her.
O
::thrive
luminousmiseries
onionboy.ca

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her latest icon says it all. That is where she is right now-on that cross, but soon she will be Home.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the 4th time I've prayed for someone to die. It is well-meant: to go to Him/Home, to be out of suffering. But I don't like asking it. I'd rather go on with asking for a "Talitha cumi" moment.. but what if it were granted? Would I truly want her to go through all this again? No. And it's not like I haven't asked WITH the caveat that she not just be returned/restored, but also free of any cancer. That's a little like the mother of the Boanerges asking that her boys sit on the right and left of Jesus. She didn't know what she was asking.. nor do I. It is hard to run alongside one who is dying; one doesn't want them to think the runner has abandoned hope. For them, or in miracles. But there is a season for dying, and it is His to call, and one knows - always - that this life is but a drop of Life. A battle field, this.. a proving ground, even if so joyful so often.. and our rest is hard-earned. Laura's rest is hard-earned. So I would tell her, yes, into His Hands commend your spirit, too, now. It's alright. It's perhaps time for all the Promises to be manifested to you. Go. Be born.

c

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also do not know how many souls Laura may be making reparation for. My heart tells me Laura would consent to this.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home