PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Please Pray

I was able to talk to Laura for a few minutes today, while her daughter held the phone to her ear. She was weak and rather groggy, but lucid. She said she feels like her time is almost up. She still hasn't eaten anything in almost 3 weeks, and only takes very small amounts of water. I'm surprised she is still alive.

This was a difficult conversation. She said she is afraid because she cannot feel the presence of God, and she began to cry. Then she said she wished I was there and I began to cry. I was there some weeks ago; I believe that was the time I was supposed to be there. Objectively seen, her soul is ready to go to God and is in his grace, even if she now has some subjective fear, which is normal. I'm unable to keep making the 850-mile trip, and chances are I would be too late anyway. What I can do for her I can do better here, since she's asleep most of the time. But I do feel rather helpless, and frankly, I hope the Lord will delay no longer in coming for her.

Laura seemed to be in relative peace after I talked to her. I had told her that even Jesus lost the awareness of his Father's presence when He was dying, and that this is her hour to share with Him on the Cross, for the Cross is the only way to Heaven. I reminded her of St Faustina's "Jesus, I trust in You," and of Jesus' own, "Into Your hands I commend my spirit." I tried to help her see that she has to focus all her attention on the Lord now. She is well taken care of; her family is all around her. I didn't want to add to her fear, and I didn't say it like this, but everyone has to die alone, that is, it is a most intimate matter between the soul and God. When that moment comes it doesn't matter who else is in the room; God is All. I reminded her of your prayers and concern as well, and she took comfort in that.

So please continue to pray. Pray that she has peace and trust, and that she will be protected from all fear and anxiety about crossing the threshold into eternity. Pray that after this moment of perceived abandonment, she will feel the Lord's presence and surrender to his embrace. I told her that He is waiting for her with open arms, and that she needs only to let herself go to Him. Pray also that she will remember the things I told her that gave her peace, because that's not easy in her condition. Thank you. I will keep you informed.

Abbot Joseph

7 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

Holy and Heavenly Father, there is a peace that passes understanding. May there also be for Laura a Presence that passes understanding but condescends to make himself known for the sake of a soul that loves him.

O
::thrive
luminousmiseries
onionboy.ca

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

c

7:56 PM  
Blogger sHANNON said...

My family and I will keep her in our prayers.

God Bless,
~Shannon

11:41 PM  
Blogger Br. Michael Anthony said...

Let us pray for Laura and all who are sick right now.

Let us pray. O God our Father, the Eternal Health of them that believe, Who dost correct those whom Thou dost love, and chastiseth every one whom Thou dost receive, give greater faith and courage, we beseech Thee, to all now visited by Thy hand, that they may lose no moment of their affliction but rather receive humbly and thankfully the pains that draw them into closer union with the sacred , Passion of Thy Son, the pains that warn them of the brevity of this temporal life and then of judgment, the pains that rebuke sin, the pains the bearing of which may be for them their eternal salvation. Help them to be patient, gentle toward those who minister to them, and resigned to Thy most holy will whether for health or for eternal life. And if it be Thy will to restore them to health, if they can serve Thy glory better in health than in suffering, grant to us and to them the grace to be truly thankful. Through Thy Son Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

I will also say the Litany for the Sick and Afflicted after None today.

May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ reign within your heart!

Br. Michael Anthony, Er.M.I., D.D.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"May the most clement Virgin Mary, Mother of God, the most loving consoler of the afflicted, commend to her Son, the soul of this servant Laura, so that through Mary's maternal intercession Laura may not fear the terrors of death, but in Mary's company may joyfully enter the desired heavenly home. Amen."

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No words now, just a throbbing heart, hoping He will come soon.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's already here. There. This is His mystery of grace, and we cannot understand it, but can prayer help all things? Why, yes. Please, let's. Tomorrow is the Sorrowful Mysteries. Let us ask Mary to obtain the expediting of Laura's long journey. ---c

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home