PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Update

Hello, this is Abbot Joseph, a friend of Laura's. She gave me her login codes and asked me to keep you posted on her condition, since she doesn't think she will be able to write any more. She is declining rather seriously and is in hospice care now. Her pancreas is shutting down and going into periodic spasms, which are very painful, and she has to be on morphine when this happens. The cancer has spread to other parts of her body as well. I am able to talk with her once in a while, but she is often too weak or asleep. She is bedridden and has no energy to do anything. But she can still receive Holy Communion, and a nun from her parish brings Him to her regularly. Laura is at peace and knows that she will die soon, and she is trying to "prepare for the Kingdom," as she has been writing in this blog. She has much support from her family, though of course this is hard on everyone. Please continue to pray for her. She is grateful for your comments and prayers, and she wants everyone to know that she has experienced great support and inner strength from the prayers of many, and this has been a real consolation to her. If she were to write another post, it would be on the power of prayer. The first thing she said to me when I called today was, "Christ is risen!"

I will let you know if there are any major developments, and also when the Lord brings her Home.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:'-( ok. His will be done. But it ain't over 'til it's over. Please give Laura our love, tho' I'm sure she feels it.

(Laura, remember us when you go to His Kingdom. Godspeed, good woman.)

Love,
Carol

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So saddened by this message. Abbott Joseph, please tell her that forget me not hasn't forgotten her and never will. May the Lord ease her pain, soon.

1:20 AM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

Abbot Joseph, Laura doesn't *know* me, but I am another blogger who is now praying for her to find peace in her journey home...

Thank you for this update.

love,
Penni

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura is going to Light, to Love, to LIFE.
We will meet her there soon.
Meanwhile, we pray for her journey..

6:58 AM  
Blogger David said...

i have been reading this blog for close to a year now but have not yet commented. Laura's story is so inspiring and i am so grateful to her for chronicling parts of it like this. she will of course be in my prayers.

God bless!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura dosent know me but please pass on to her she is continuesly in my prayers and I pray she is finding peace in her journey home all my love please let her know she is love by many love Joanne

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the Lord gather Laura up quickly and gently now into His loving arms, if it is her time. My prayers continue, especially the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Thank you, Laura, for allowing us in, and for touching all of our hearts.

1:20 PM  
Blogger heirsinhope said...

What a blessed, blessed opportunity. I will keep Laura in my prayers as she goes home.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a dire, dire tragedy as well. She is prepared, which is not the same as eager.

It is a very sad thing to die.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this comment earlier, but somehow it failed to publish, so forgive me if it somehow shows up twice. "Anonymous" said that Laura's imminent death is a dire tragedy, but I would say this: it is tragic for her only to the extent that she may still be attached to persons or things of this world, and tragic for us only insofar as we feel the pain of loss. In itself, for one who believes in Christ and the Resurrection, death is the crown of life, the crossing of a mysterious and unknown, yet marvelously glorious threshold. Faith and love will cast out fear, and Laura is preparing for an unimaginable communion with her Lord, amid astonishing beauties and joys far beyond our capacity to know, yet which, when we finally encounter them, will ring with the crystal clarity of Truth and Life, and God's paradise will be the only Reality one could ever desire. Would that we could all be both prepared and eager to enter upon that which God has prepared for those who love Him.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Will you please, when you (or Laura) update this report, please give it a new heading? I check here many times a day, and my heart is in my throat each time.

I'll let her go, and with every blessing. Just as I have let others go to Him, knowing there is nothing to fear, knowing, truly, that only Joy awaits Laura, who has indeed been restored to Him.

But it won't be without my noise.

For with God, nothing shall be impossible.

In love, gratitude, and groveling hope,
Carol

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abbot Joseph, I am one of the lucky ones who knows Laura. She is a beautiful person. Last Christmas the best present I got was a copy of her Joseph icon. We have just returned from a 2 1/2 month trip. As we came into our house after all that time the first thing I noticed was the icon and my thoughts went to her. I called her but only got her voice mail. Now I know why. I am deeply saddened, but grateful to you for posting this update and grateful to have meet Laura.
Christ's Peace
Rose Mary

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La Muerte no es el Final

(Composed by Fr. Cesareo Gabarain on the occasion of the death by cancer of a 13 year old student at his Marist school-now perhaps the most widely known song used in ceremonies honoring Spain's fallen soldiers, from any time). Google for the tune.

Tú nos dijiste que la muerte
no es el final del camino,
que, aunque morimos, no somos
carne de un ciego destino.
Tú nos hiciste. Tuyos somos.
Nuestro destino es vivir
siendo felices contigo,
sin padecer ni sufrir.
Siendo felices contigo,
sin padecer ni sufrir.

Cuando la pena nos alcanza,
por un hermano perdido.
Cuando el adiós dolorido,
busca en la fe su esperanza.
En tu palabra confiamos
con la certeza que Tú:
ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz.
Ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

Pray for us when you behold Jesus in his glory.

--Alan

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home