PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Giving Thanks

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who have given me much support during this past year. I had a very nice Thanksgiving with my family and friends. Again, I am amazed that I am still here. But I thank you and the Lord.

I have been writing another icon. This icon makes me look at Christ as He is hanging on the cross. As I see his face, it looks very peaceful as He has already given up his spirit to the Father.

In a reading from "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers" an Abba, who is considered very holy to his disciples is at the point of death. Here is an account of his passing.

It was said of Abba Sisoes that when he was at the point of death, while the Fathers were sitting beside him, his face shone like the sun. He said to them, "Look, Abba Anthony (St. Anthony the Great) is coming." A little later he said, "Look, the choir of prophets is coming." Again his countenance shone with brightness and he said, "Look, the choir of apostles is coming." His countenance increased in brightness and lo, he spoke with someone. Then the old men asked him, "With whom are you speaking, Father?" He said, "Look, the angels are coming to fetch me, and I am begging them to let me do a little penance." The old men said to him, "You have no need to do penance, Father." But the old man said to them, "Truly, I do not think I have even made a beginning yet."

This was a man who spent 72 years on St. Anthony's mountain living a life of prayer and asceticism. Let us continue.

Now they all knew that he was perfect. Once more his countenance suddenly became like the sun and they were all filled with fear. He said to them, "Look, the Lord is coming and he's saying, "Bring me the vessel from the desert." Then there was a flash of lightening and all the house was filled with a sweet odour.

What a beautiful way to meet the Lord. As I sat in our little Adoration Chapel on Thanksgiving Day, I said to the Lord, "If I can't be here next year, then I hope I can be with You."

I think He would like all of us to feel this way.

Blessed are You Lord, now and forever.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle said...

I'm so grateful to the Lord that you were able to have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, Laura.

I wonder what "the vessel from the desert" was all about, Laura. Maybe filled with oil, like the "oil of joy", or blessed oil?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Lord was referring to the dying Abba, Gabrielle.. and yes, me too, Laure--I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving time.

:-)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

aaaaaahhh...:) Thanks, H.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home