PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Time and Eternity

As I was coming home from the Divine Liturgy on Sunday, my son John and I were discussing time and eternity. During our discussion he made the point that because there is no time in eternity that at the moment of death our time for making any changes runs out.

Now you may think, well that's obvious, but actually this really struck something within me. Sometimes I'll hear a word and suddenly the light inside will go on. I suddenly realized the importance of making good and right choices in this life at all times. especially the choice to believe in God.

During my first trip after 20 years to Mt. Tabor, I had an experience similar to this, but more intense. I remember standing in the church during one of the services and suddenly realized that although I was in a state of terrible sins, the one that was the worst, was that I had stopped believing in God. It just hit me so intensely that I started to cry. It was true and I could not deny it. The feeling was one of sincere remorse and a little bit of panic. It was then that I knew that I was in serious need of reconciliation with God.

I think about my life before that time, and what might have happened if I would have died in my sins and faced this realization in eternity. There would have been no time left to change my mind. I would have stood before God and known that I had been wrong but with no time left to change my life. To me, this is a terrifying thought and it should be. We are not here to do whatever pleases our senses. Our senses will be gone with our body at death, then what will we have left? Only the soul and how will that look before the judgment seat of Christ? That will depend on the choices we've made in the here and now.

I often hear that many people want to be "spiritual" but not "religious." So to these people I say the following. To be "religious" means "accountability." But to be "spiritual" or "one with the universe" or whatever the trend happens to be, does not require accountability. And without accountability human nature runs wild. There are some, but very few, who can do what is right without having to be accountable to someone. Accountablity is necessary in order to control our human nature. Without it, we are doomed to a disasterous life here and in eternity.

Be not deceived. There is a judgment. And we will all face it. But if we choose to believe in Christ who has shown us the way to God, whom He calls Father, we can be assured that we will not be alone and will encounter a merciful God who will welcome us into his Kingdom.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People seem to demand accountability in business and politics and professions, but when it comes to God they want to be "free" and unbound by commandments or whatever does not suit their tastes. But accountability before God is the most essential, and we all will do well to humble ourselves before Him, asking Him to show us what we still need to do in order to be faithful to Him in all things--and we ought also to be willing to have Him call us on it if we get lazy!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,
The original blog or comments made mention of finding a kingdom of knd and gentle sweetness in a dime store. I also have a son named John and would also like to talk with you.
Dave in Mount Vernon

1:10 PM  
Blogger myosotis said...

Hi Laura. Your post makes perfect sense, but there are some things we don't see in ourselves because we are human. If we have a sincere heart and surrender even these frailties to the Lord, His Mercy will save us. John Paul II was especially devoted to the Merciful Jesus and St. Faustina Kowalska. I often recite the Diving Mercy Chaplet for myself and especially for those who have deeply hurt me. "Jesus, I trust in you"

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

2:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I too recite the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily for those who will die and come before the Lord that day, especially for those who are not prepared. I believe the Lord will honor these prayers in a powerful way. He has promised and He will deliver.

What is not possible with man, is possible with God.

Jesus, I trust in You!

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home