PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Abandon All

As I sit here at Mt. Tabor Monastery in Northern California contemplating the works of the Lord in my life, it is clear that He is all good and all knowing. I have long waited for things to develop to the point where I could just let it all go and let Him take care of it.

In the past, there were the times when I just let Him take me where He wanted. But there were also the years when I went astray, choosing my own way instead of his. This did not work. I found myself in places where I experienced true hell. I also found that by choosing to take care of things myself I would somehow hurt others in the process.

I am reminded of how God will make us aware of all that He wants for us as well as how to accomplish it. It could be as simple as letting Him take my day and allowing myself to just trust in what He will do with it. If there are simple decisions to make, then I can either make them myself or take a chance and let Him make them for me. This might sound a little impractical, but if we consciously choose to try this method we will see and experience the results as not coming from ourselves, but from God.

Getting to the point where we can actually trust enough to do this takes time and effort. Nothing is easy when it comes to trusting in something we cannot see. However, if we can learn to do this then we can learn just how real God is. How will we ever be able to truly believe if we haven’t learned how to let Him reveal Himself? There is no other way but to abandon ourselves to Him, to learn to listen to his voice.

And just how do we do this? I can only tell you what I have learned in my own life. It is helpful to have a general rule to follow. For example, my morning prayers include praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, some spiritual readings, the Divine Office of Matins and the Divine Liturgy. Waking up early enough to do this is much easier now. It wasn’t always like this though. It’s taken a while to get here. Making this daily commitment will strengthen your spiritual life.

In visiting the monastery I was shown how to pray in a specific manner. This is what I follow now. Learning how to pray was the first step for me. I have also come to clearly understand the importance of silence. I cannot stress this enough. For it is through silence that we come to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. We must learn how to center ourselves and quiet our minds. I have learned to do this by praying the Jesus Prayer.

I realize that perhaps most people have not had the opportunity to visit a monastery and experience this type of prayer. However, I would like to encourage you to do so if you can. A monastery is a place where you can experience God in a way that can change your whole life. He will reveal Himself in a new way. You will learn the meaning of true Christianity as Christ wanted us to experience it. He says come and spend some time with me, away from the distractions of the world and I will show you how to listen to my words and how to trust your life to Me.

In my opinion this is the safest way of learning how to abandon yourself to God. For me it was the key to finding the Kingdom of Heaven and the means of learning how to get there. I don’t know if we can really find this anywhere else. What I learn here, I take back home with me. I’ve had to choose to put this life into practice, but it has been a priceless gift.

So for those of you who want more, for those of you who believe in a life other than what you experience in day to day living, I encourage you to take a step toward eternity and visit a monastery. It is there that you will find Christ as the disciples found Him. It is there that He will bring you to Himself in a way you never imagined. You will learn how to live in the world without being of it, as a true disciple of Christ.

I believe the light of Christ shines brightly within us when we find the way to abandon all.

Lord, make me know your ways.
Lord, teach me your paths.
Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
For you are God my Savior.

Psalm 24/25

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is beautiful.

You said, "I also found that by choosing to take care of things myself I would somehow hurt others in the process." Oh Lord, how true that is for me as well.

There are times I've given myself over to the Lord for the day, and I am amazed at how easy is His burden and how light His yoke. He does almost all of it Himself, and lets all reap His fruit.

I'd love to go to a monastery sometime for God-quiet.. there's a friary just a town or two over, perhaps they still offer retreats. The risk is, I'd not want to come home! Well, in the din and busyness of this world, I'm sure millions of us could stand a retreat, but you know what, I'm glad whenever any of us gets one.. we all kinda share in its fruit, don't we? Is it my imagination, or do I sense a soft, happy peace in your newest reflection? One can almost hear the late afternoon sun's rays in your words. If so, it's certainly an answer to prayer for you. Thank you so much for sharing.
:-)

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home