PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Keeping Vigil

Laura is still alive, already having outlived the prediction of her hospice nurse last week. Her condition has not improved, though; she simply hasn't died yet. She has not eaten for 10 days, and she takes water or juice only from a little sponge. Mentally she goes in and out, and is asleep most of the time. The morphine is keeping her relatively comfortable. It probably will not be very long now, but everyone is just praying and taking things one day at a time. I'm in contact with her family, so I get updates from time to time. Thank you for your prayers.

Abbot Joseph

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you know, I keep asking of Him, "Wouldn't now would be a marvelous time to work another whopper, my dear Lord Jesus? ... Now? ... Or now? How about now? Soon? ..... Will she not hear on this side of the veil, 'Laura, come forth'?"

I keep thinking of all those who love her, not least of which her grandkids.. I hope they will not be perpetually wounded by what must seem like her leaving ahead of time. I cannot imagine how her kids feel.. well, almost can, but she's so young. She hasn't even seen all the grandchildren to come, yet. Nor they, her. She's not even met all her children-in-law, nor they, her. I think about you, her "best friend," and know we cannot ease your pain. Only He can. And so we pray...

And above all, I think of her. She did not want to leave just yet. Of course not. But it may be that she has stayed as long as her body will let her.. and soon will be praying for her loved ones from a whole new dimension, yet closer than ever. The mystery before her is not terrifying, thanks to her best friend and her God, and we need not worry about her once her travail has passed. There's so much to be thankful for.

Sometimes a moment comes when we cannot breathe, and we think it's from crying so hard.. but maybe it's our God holding us so tight.

I think I will ask St. Isaac of Nineveh to say the rest, directly to Him.

God love you... thank you.
C.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She'll meet her future grandchildren before they even get here. She will be able to do more for her family than ever possible on this earth. She will be with them every step of the way. They will have a hard time believing it at first, but then they will have proof of it, time after time.
The important thing is that she is comfortable and at peace with everyone.
It will be hard for those who are left behind. But we will continue our prayers for them, won't we? And Fr. Abbott will keep us up to date, maybe once a year, as to her grandchildren as they arrive into this world after having been sent off with a kiss and a hug from their grandma. or am I asking too much Fr.?

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word 'vigil' just now struck me. I lit a vigil candle at Notre Dame du Cap for Laura, when I was visiting on Saturday, right in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I have never lit as many candles for anyone as I have for dear Laura, and I don't know why, exactly. I just want her to have candles burning. Burning bright.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet. There are no votives in our churches anymore, but I can light one here and offer 100 Jesus Prayers. 100 is a big round Eastern number which I'm sure she loves, and she loves the Jesus Prayer..

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had some magical words or encouragement but at a time like this I know there are none.
My prayers are with Laura and you all
Bill - Dying Man's Daily Journal

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home