PREPARE FOR THE KINGDOM

In this life there are many things to prepare for, but the most important is for our entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I will take you with me, should you want to come along, on my personal journey to the door which will lead to eternity, through which every soul must pass. Where the angel of death waits to ask the all important question, "Are you prepared for the Kingdom?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anacortes, Washington, United States

Two years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived surgery along with chemo/radiation treatments. Recently, it was discovered that the cancer had returned and although I am again on chemotherapy, in all probability I have perhaps one more year to live. During these last months I would like to share what I have learned about the most important thing we'll ever do in this life and that is, prepare for the kingdom of God.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Bit of Encouragement

I talked to one of Laura's sons yesterday. At first the news wasn't too good; she's still in and out of consciousness, trying to speak but mostly unable. They think she's building up a tolerance to the medication and so can't sleep very well, and is still in some pain (though it's hard to know just how much), but there are limits as to how much morphine and sedatives can be administered.

The encouragement, however, is this: he said that, while they could make out almost nothing of what she is trying to say, two words were clear: "God" and "Jesus". I thought to myself: She's praying! He also said he thought he heard her trying to say the Hail Mary. I'm not sure, but I hope and pray that this means she has passed through the darkest stage of fear and confusion and lack of awareness of God's presence, and that she is somehow connecting with Him, despite her diminished physical and mental capacities. I don't know how her body keeps going; she has "fasted" for 40 days now, and has been without water for 10, and the cancer continues to destroy her body from within. She still seems to be quite alive interiorly, though she is entirely immobile physically and unable to communicate what she is thinking or feeling. This, I think, is quite frustrating for her. But the fact that she has the name of God on her lips is something of a relief for me, and it gives me more confidence that God truly has her secure in his hands.

Please continue to pray. She is still suffering, but I hope her liberation will come very soon.

Abbot Joseph

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a woman, Abbot. Women are very strong. I'm going to pray for her intentions, now.

11:42 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Woman or not, it's quite remarkable. May the Lord bring her peace and to her family also. At this point I have to wonder how many souls are being saved, how much evil is being abated because the Lord is giving her time on this earth and she is using it unselfishly in prayer.

O ::thrive luminousmiseries || onionboy.ca

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home